To catch a wave in the backcountry
The Plan B circuit for surfers is a 2/3 day itinerary aimed at surfers who do not have favorable surf conditions in Agadir Bay. Discover Tamri and the magical Bay of Imsouane by heading north. Go on an adventure in the Paradise Valley (hikes / natural pools) then head south towards a wilder coast and more confidential spots . Maybe you will find some secret waves there?
1h40mn 93 Km
Follow the N1 (coastal road) heading north. While passing through Taghazout, take advantage of its skatepark (30.548153, -9.713136) to take a break. Then, Tamri is a 35-minute drive (5 minutes after the Boilers spot and the Cap Ghir lighthouse). When you reach the mouth of the Oued, turn left on a sand track (30.708067, -9.855876), below the road, to park behind the dunes. This beach break is the place to go when Taghazout is wave-free. Beginners be careful as there can sometimes be a strong current. Check that you do not drift too much. The estuary of the river is a banana plantation which is also home to camels, bald ibis and flamingos, an incredible place worth the trip. The village center offers snacks and local products (cooperatives). To go to Imsouane Bay , continue on the N1 and turn left (30.843972, -9.764011) to the fishing village of Imsouane and its majestic bay (unmissable viewpoint = 30.835405, -9.800349). The bay is a world famous surf spot thanks to the length of its wave (longboard). Another less sheltered spot is located on the other side of the point: Cathedral. Many walks are possible along the coastal area and in the Arganeraie (on foot, by bike). Bald ibis and Ammonites (fossils) are visible on walks north of Imsouane. There are many possible accommodations to stay put.
Points of interest:
- Taghazout Skatepark
- Surf spots to discover (Anchor point, Killer, Dracula, Boilers)
- Surf casting / Fishing
- Cap Ghir / Tamri / Imsouane Bay / Cathedral
- Hiking around Imsouane
- Arganeraie Biosphere Reserve
3h10mn 140 Km
Leaving Imsouane, head in the direction of the Prince Moulay Abdellah dam (30.815549, -9.769206) and follow the signs for fishing routes. Pass over the dam and take advantage of a trail that runs along the lake for your lunch break. It is possible to exit from the trail at point 30.759391, -9.588414. If you want to continue directly to the village of Imouzzer – Pays du Miel, take the P1000 at the dam. This circuit may coincide with the Souk – Imouzzer Thursday market. So take the opportunity to buy crafts and food products from the cooperatives at very attractive prices. A path starting from the village takes you to the foot of spectacular waterfalls (during the rainy season). When leaving Imouzzer, head south and join the P1001 for the Vallée du Paradis (parking lot 30.588767, -9.531829). It is a succession of cool, natural pools surrounded by palm trees and breathtaking mountains. Sit by the pools to relax or take a dip. The surrounding steep valleys and the Arganeraie Biosphere Reserve are unspoiled places for hiking. On the way back to Agadir or Taghazout, take the opportunity to stop at a cooperative and learn how argan oil is made.
Points of interest:
- Banana and Palm grove in TAMRI
- Prince Moulay Abdellah Dam
- Discovery of the country of Ida- Outanane / Imouzzer
- Cooperatives to visit (Argan, Jewelry, Painting)
3h00mn 160 Km
Take the coastal road N1 – southbound – Tiznit. Several options are possible:
- Souss Massa National Park Animal Reserve (30.289792, -9.561270).
- Tifnit (30.200713, -9.640782) = Spot for experienced surfers but there is also a protected cove for beginners. Fishing village with its troglodyte houses.
- Sidi R’bat (30.085687, -9.663549): simply continue along the path that leads to the right after the Auberge La Dune to reach the fishermen’s troglodyte houses facing the sea or follow the beach to the left to observe the many migratory birds in the mouth of the Oued (30.073841, -9.666693)
- Coastal track 4 * 4 Tifnit- Aglou
- The coastal road south of Aglou offers a panorama of the ocean, steep hills and a multitude of coves. Possibility of Paragliding around Sidi Boufdail.
- Mirleft (neighboring province), very cosmopolitan atmosphere for surfers and paragliders. Numerous accommodations.
- Legzira and its arch (grilled fish)
- Souss Massa National Park (Saharan fauna – Migratory birds)
- Coastal track between Tifnit and Aglou
- Tifnit: surf spot
- Aglou: surf and paragliding spot